Electrical Design Data Management
DS-E3: Manage Electrical Data and Workflow
DS-E3 is designed specifically for electrical design and manufacturing engineers, providing them with current, validated libraries, design data and BOM information to:
- Manage tasks and workflows for change and approval processes.
- Support intelligent design configuration and reuse through module and variant management.
- Generate a 100% BoM and documentation from a 150% BoM
Direct integration increases productivity
DS-E3 integrates directly into Zuken’s E3.series suite for electrical and fluid design, so engineers do not need to leave their CAD application to carry out everyday tasks. Engineers can increase their productivity by reducing the number of individual applications and user interfaces they use.
Work-in-progress data is managed within the respective engineering discipline, then synchronized with cross-discipline PLM and ERP systems. This approach, known as ‘domain data management’ offers significant productivity benefits.
Integrate into existing PDM/PLM and ERP environments
DS-E3 goes far beyond the practice of managing electrical designs as packaged (zipped) containers in a predominantly mechanical PDM/PLM product structure. Bi-directional integration between DS-E3 and PLM synchronizes material data, bill-of-materials information and related documents. Integrate simply using generic APIs for third party systems with SOA-based plug & play connectors.
‘Native’ data management means users can:
- Track and analyze electrical designs down to component level to leverage capabilities such as where-used information.
- Create variant design strategies based on functional modules.
Library Data Master
Manages library information and specifications required for the electrical design process from schematic, fluid and cable plan entry, right up to manufacturing documentation.
Material Supplier Master
Contain all component and material information required during the engineering process. Consolidate material master data such as cost, availability, alternative components and related information such as datasheets, specifications etc., that are typically managed in enterprise IT environments, i.e. outside the engineering domain.
Design Data Master
Manage E3.series project data, including options and variants, in a controlled environment with comprehensive access control, revision management and analysis functionality.
BOM Data Master
Generates and maintains accurate component lists that consolidate all associated schematic, wiring and panel layout/wire harness data, component information, documents and assembly drawings within a single environment.
DS-E3 can integrate with all major PLM and ERP systems and provides SOA-based “plug & play” connectors; in addition, generic integration APIs are available for other third party systems.
“As a supplier in the field of network and communication infrastructure components and solutions, ABB must react flexibly to customer requirements. Design reuse and modularization are key capabilities that are enabled for us by Zuken’s engineering data management solutions in the area of electrical engineering.”
– Marcus Bohm, Lifecycle Manager and Lead for ABB’s DS-E3 Pilot Program
“Receiving version-proof data from our electrical design team forms the basis of our optimized manufacturing process. Stadler has therefore decided to use DS-E3 for managing its electrical engineering work-in-progress data.”
Christoph Leiterer – Head of Electrical and Software Engineering Tailormade, Stadler Rail
Engineering is by definition a constant change process. Input from different stakeholders in the engineering and manufacturing process need to be evaluated, approved and implemented. Informed decisions around change requests require access to valid and reliable data and information, as well as workflows and role-based access and change permissions.
In electronic and electrical engineering, the related requirements go far beyond ‘simple’ file management: Libraries and material master data of components must be kept up to date, and changes need to be propagated to variants and related designs.
It is therefore essential to have access to native design data and libraries, rather than managing them in ZIP containers that cannot be accessed via automated search routines.Read more
- Access to reliable data and information
- Ability to read and analyse native design data
- Role based access
- Workflow capabilities
- With its common DS-CR and DS-E3 platform technology, Zuken provides powerful change management capabilities for native design data, allowing users to make informed decisions.
Options and Variants
To offer customers maximum choice, products are commonly built on platforms that can be equipped with a broad choice of options and variants. The required options and variants are often managed as separate designs, and it takes a great deal of effort to keep the different options in sync.
A better method is to handle all options as part of a single design, which is frequently referred to as an ‘over defined’ or ‘150%’ design. Ideally, individual options and configuration can be selected from a feature tree within the design.
These capabilities need to be backed up by a powerful design data management environment, in which design and related library data can be reliably tracked and retrieved.
- Efficient methods to handling product options and variants
- Manage options as part of a single 150% design
- Replaces overhead required to manage and coordinate separate designs
- Ability to automatically propagate changes into all related instances.
- Zuken provides powerful capabilities for managing options and variants through within its electronic and electrical authoring toolsets, and configuration management capabilities within its DS-CR and DS-E3 domain data management environments.
Modular product architectures are considered a breakthrough approach for controlling product and manufacturing complexity in today’s world of fast-paced technological innovation.
In a modular approach, all assemblies (or modules) interact with each other to carry out the product’s overall purpose. This is in contrast to a platform approach, where different variants are built on a common platform.
To use modular product architectures successfully, the engineering information infrastructure needs to be solid. This is because interdependencies between modules must be maintained to support efficient engineering change and configuration management processes. Another key for success is the ability to access and read native design data for all engineering disciplines involved.
- Support for product families that share interchangeable modules
- Manage libraries of modules
- Propagate change into all modules
- Represents a matrix of functions across different products and modules
- With its DS-CR and DS-E3 technology, Zuken provides powerful native design data management capabilities to support the complex interdependencies of modular electro-mechanical products.
To fully leverage investment in platforms and modular product architectures, technical sales teams need configuration capabilities that ensure only valid combinations of options and modules are selected in the sales and tendering process.
The obvious approach is to provide configuration capabilities through easy-to-deploy, standalone configuration tools. But there is a high risk that listed configurations get out of sync, using this method.
A better approach is to provide configuration capabilities within the design data management environment, so that all changes can be propagated automatically to all related options and modules.
- Manage modules and their interdependencies down to the component level
- Ability to define and apply rules for combinations of different modules
- Manage lifecycle of modules and track change
With its DS-CR and DS-E3 technology, Zuken provides a powerful configuration management capabilities that are seamlessly integrated into Zuken’s authoring environments, enabling coherent configuration and change processes.
The growing importance of electrics and electronics in modern products, machines and systems calls for interdisciplinary collaboration during the early phases of the product development process (PDP). This is frequently referred to as ‘mechatronic engineering’ or ‘electromechanical product development.’
An integrated process across all engineering disciplines requires a holistic view of the product. In this context, established methods, such as managing mechanical, electrical and software development data in separate environments are reaching their limitations.
A comprehensive representation of all relevant information and status changes is now required, beginning from the early phases of the product development process.
- Synchronize deliverables across disciplines
- Ensure unique representation of electromechanical components
- User-friendly access to information
- Supports a lean or all-in-one approach
With its DS-CR and DS-E3 technology, Zuken provides powerful native design data management capabilities that integrate seamlessly with modular products containing sophisticated electrical and electronic functionality.
Electronic and electrical designs are based on comprehensive descriptions of multiple elements such as electrical properties and supply status (end-of-life or second source information). This information is typically held in separate environments (e.g. CAD libraries and ERP). So there is a significant risk that manufactured components and engineering specifications do not match exactly – leading to potentially disastrous effects on product quality.
To make informed decisions, both design and manufacturing engineers need to have access to comprehensive information from across all domains. This information must be supported by powerful change management and tracking functionality, allowing implementation of controlled release, change and revision management processes.
- Keep design libraries and material master data in sync
- Manage end-of-life (EOL) information
- Manage second source alternatives
- Analyze designs with regard to component usage (preferred components) and cost
With its DS-CR and DS-E3 technology, Zuken provides powerful library consolidation and lifecycle management capabilities. This integrates seamlessly with powerful change and configuration management functionality.