PCB Design Data Management
DS-CR: Manage PCB Data and Workflow
DS-CR is designed specifically for electronic design and manufacturing engineers to provide them with current, validated CAD component libraries, schematic and PCB layout data and material information to:
- Manage and consolidate material information and parts lists in a controlled release and revision process
- Manage tasks and workflows for change and approval processes
- Support intelligent design configuration and reuse through module management.
DS-CR offers a reliable source of information for all product development and change activities.
“Zuken’s DS-CR (formerly DS-2) data management software offered everything we needed. As the Surface™ portfolio of products grew, data management for electrical design became an increasingly critical element of our process.”
– Erik von Fuchs, Director of Engineering, Surface Products, Microsoft
- Change Management
- Options and Variants
- Module Management
- Configuration Management
- Library Management
- Supply Chain
- Cross-discipline Engineering Process Support
EDA Library Master (ELM)
Aanage all symbols, footprints and specifications required for the PCB design process.
Component Master (CM)
A single-source environment for all component information within the engineering process. Component Master consolidates ECAD Library items with material information (typically managed in an ERP environment).
Engineering Desktop (EDT)
Provides CR-8000 design data and related documents in a controlled environment, with comprehensive access control, revision management and analysis functionality. This includes simulation data, footprints, parts lists, and CAM data.
Component List Master (CLM)
Generate accurate BOMs that combine all associated schematic and PCB data, component information, documents and drawings.
DS-2 has been designed to enhance existing PLM systems – not to replace them. In a typical scenario, DS-2 is used to manage work-in-progress design data. DS-2 can integrate with all major PLM and ERP systems and provides SOA-based “plug & play” connectors; in addition, generic integration APIs are available for other third party systems.
Direct integration increases productivity
DS-CR integrates directly into Zuken’s CR-8000 suite for 2D/3D multi-board PCB design, so engineers do not need to leave their CAD application to carry out everyday tasks. Engineers can increase their productivity by reducing the number of individual applications and user interfaces they use.
Work-in-progress data is managed within the respective engineering discipline, then synchronized with cross-discipline PLM and ERP systems. This approach, known as ‘domain data management’ offers significant productivity benefits.
With its specific focus on the requirements of PCB design, DS-CR provides an important extension to installed PLM environments, which are typically optimized to handle mechanical data structures and engineering methodologies. DS-CR can be integrated with existing enterprise PLM environments thanks its object-oriented architecture.
Engineering is by definition a constant change process. Input from different stakeholders in the engineering and manufacturing process need to be evaluated, approved and implemented. Informed decisions around change requests require access to valid and reliable data and information, as well as workflows and role-based access and change permissions.
In electronic and electrical engineering, the related requirements go far beyond ‘simple’ file management: Libraries and material master data of components must be kept up to date, and changes need to be propagated to variants and related designs.
It is therefore essential to have access to native design data and libraries, rather than managing them in ZIP containers that cannot be accessed via automated search routines.
- Access to reliable data and information
- Ability to read and analyse native design data
- Role based access
- Workflow capabilities
- With its common DS-CR and DS-E3 platform technology, Zuken provides powerful change management capabilities for native design data, allowing users to make informed decisions.
To offer customers maximum choice, products are commonly built on platforms that can be equipped with a broad choice of options and variants. The required options and variants are often managed as separate designs, and it takes a great deal of effort to keep the different options in sync.
A better method is to handle all options as part of a single design, which is frequently referred to as an ‘over defined’ or ‘150%’ design. Ideally, individual options and configuration can be selected from a feature tree within the design.
These capabilities need to be backed up by a powerful design data management environment, in which design and related library data can be reliably tracked and retrieved.
- Efficient methods to handling product options and variants
- Manage options as part of a single 150% design
- Replaces overhead required to manage and coordinate separate designs
- Ability to automatically propagate changes into all related instances.
- Zuken provides powerful capabilities for managing options and variants through within its electronic and electrical authoring toolsets, and configuration management capabilities within its DS-CR and DS-E3 domain data management environments.
Modular product architectures are considered a breakthrough approach for controlling product and manufacturing complexity in today’s world of fast-paced technological innovation.
In a modular approach, all assemblies (or modules) interact with each other to carry out the product’s overall purpose. This is in contrast to a platform approach, where different variants are built on a common platform.
To use modular product architectures successfully, the engineering information infrastructure needs to be solid. This is because interdependencies between modules must be maintained to support efficient engineering change and configuration management processes. Another key for success is the ability to access and read native design data for all engineering disciplines involved.
- Support for product families that share interchangeable modules
- Manage libraries of modules
- Propagate change into all modules
- Represents a matrix of functions across different products and modules
- With its DS-CR and DS-E3 technology, Zuken provides powerful native design data management capabilities to support the complex interdependencies of modular electro-mechanical products.
To fully leverage investment in platforms and modular product architectures, technical sales teams need configuration capabilities that ensure only valid combinations of options and modules are selected in the sales and tendering process.
The obvious approach is to provide configuration capabilities through easy-to-deploy, standalone configuration tools. But there is a high risk that listed configurations get out of sync, using this method.
A better approach is to provide configuration capabilities within the design data management environment, so that all changes can be propagated automatically to all related options and modules.
- Manage modules and their interdependencies down to the component level
- Ability to define and apply rules for combinations of different modules
- Manage lifecycle of modules and track change
With its DS-CR and DS-E3 technology, Zuken provides a powerful configuration management capabilities that are seamlessly integrated into Zuken’s authoring environments, enabling coherent configuration and change processes.
Electronic and electrical designs are based on comprehensive descriptions of multiple elements such as electrical properties and supply status (end-of-life or second source information). This information is typically held in separate environments (e.g. CAD libraries and ERP). So there is a significant risk that manufactured components and engineering specifications do not match exactly – leading to potentially disastrous effects on product quality.
To make informed decisions, both design and manufacturing engineers need to have access to comprehensive information from across all domains. This information must be supported by powerful change management and tracking functionality, allowing implementation of controlled release, change and revision management processes.
- Keep design libraries and material master data in sync
- Manage end-of-life (EOL) information
- Manage second source alternatives
- Analyze designs with regard to component usage (preferred components) and cost
With its DS-CR and DS-E3 technology, Zuken provides powerful library consolidation and lifecycle management capabilities. This integrates seamlessly with powerful change and configuration management functionality.
Silicon Expert provides access to a large database of component information. Silicon Expert customers globally use this information to manage risk, avoid redesigns, and mitigate obsolescence in innovative industries such as consumer electronics, telecommunications, automotive, medical and aerospace. DS-2 has a Web Services connection to Silicon Expert allowing for population and update of component information with DS-2. A component obsolescence alert can be generated by DS-2 based on a Silicon Expert update.
The growing importance of electrics and electronics in modern products, machines and systems calls for interdisciplinary collaboration during the early phases of the product development process (PDP). This is frequently referred to as ‘mechatronic engineering’ or ‘electromechanical product development.’
An integrated process across all engineering disciplines requires a holistic view of the product. In this context, established methods, such as managing mechanical, electrical and software development data in separate environments are reaching their limitations.
A comprehensive representation of all relevant information and status changes is now required, beginning from the early phases of the product development process.
- Synchronize deliverables across disciplines
- Ensure unique representation of electromechanical components
- User-friendly access to information
- Supports a lean or all-in-one approach
With its DS-CR and DS-E3 technology, Zuken provides powerful native design data management capabilities that integrate seamlessly with modular products containing sophisticated electrical and electronic functionality.